A job search can be like a job itself since it involves many hours of preparation. The best starting point is organizing your career background so that it can be presented professionally on a resume. The best resumes are error-free and convey a sense of ambition and team spirit.
Keep the following tips in mind when searching for your next employer:
- Don’t let job hunting distract you from responsibilities of your current job. It’s better to quit a job with your next job in place than to be fired and trapped in between jobs.
- On job interviews wear better attire than what you would normally wear on the job. That gives you the benefit of making a positive first impression. Then you can adjust your attire once you get hired to fit the dress code.
- Learn the multiple job titles for the work you are seeking. Different companies use different job titles for the same work. Be prepared to customize your resume for a specific job title.
- When you come across a company that you like in your research, send them your resume and follow up with them within a month. Contact them either by phone or email and ask if your resume or application is still being considered.
- Update your resume as often as possible and make sure you proofread it before sending it out. Don’t let employers see even minor mistakes such as typos or grammatical errors. If you have time, create a series of resumes designed for various positions and proofread each one.
- Learn as many skills as possible that relate to your career objective. The more value you can bring to the company, the more likely you will get their attention. Always think about reinventing yourself and staying up to date with the latest developments in your industry.
- Develop a relationship with recruiters in your industry. Let them know about your background and your goals. Stay in touch with a representative so that you become more familiar to them since they may be in a position to make recommendations.
Kimmy Burgess is the Manager of Cash in a Snap, which helps clients get connected to its large network of reputed lenders to get an instant cash advance online when they need it. Kimmy has over 20+ years’ experience in Administrative Management, with many years in the lending industry. Her expertise includes customer service, client services and other functions in the payday lending business. She has also spent time in the mortgage industry prior to her move into the payday lending field.